GARR is the Italian Academic and Research telecommunication network.
Its main goal is to provide high-bandwidth connectivity and advanced services to the national scientific and academic community. The GARR network is fully integrated into the worldwide Internet.
Consortium GARR is a non-profit organization constituted under the aegis of the MIUR (Ministry of Education and Scientific Research).
The founding Members are:
- CNR (National Research Council)
- ENEA (Organization for the New Techno- - ENEA (Organization for the New Technologies, the Energy and the Environment)
- Fondazione CRUI (Conference of Italian University Chancellors)
- INFN (National Institute of Nuclear Physics)
All Academic and major Scientific organizations in Italy connect to the GARR network.
GARR plans and operates the national high-speed telecommunication network for University and Scientific Research. All Academic and major Scientific organizations in Italy connect to the GARR network.
GARR institutional mandate includes the following:
- to implement and operate the national high-speed telecommunication network ;
- for University and Scientific Research, and to interconnect to other NRENs in Europe and worldwide, as well as with the Global Internet;
- to provide the user community with network operation and application services;
- to facilitate cooperation in the field of research through the exploitation of leading-edge e-Infrastructures, both at a national and international level;
- to disseminate advanced knowledge about network infrastructure, and to stimulate the exchange of technical know how within the user community.
The GARR network and its services are dedicated to the Italian Academic, Research and Education community. Currently, about 450 user sites, including Research Organizations, Universities, Observatories, Laboratories, Institutes for Research in Health Care (IRCCS), Music Conservatories and Academies of Art, Libraries, Schools, Museums and other Scientific and Educational Facilities of national and international relevance, for overall more than 2 Millions end users.
This vast and diverse user community belongs to:
- GARR founding members: (CNR, ENEA, INFN and Fondazione CRUI on behalf of the Italian Universities);
- Research institutes under the authority of the Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR)[R 8], including ASI, INAF, INGV, and other Organizations.
- University supercomputing consortia (CASPUR, CILEA and CINECA).
- Research and heritage institutes under the authority of other Ministries, such as the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities (MiBAC – Ministero dei Beni e delle Attività Culturali) or the Ministry of Healthcare.
- Other institutes of cultural or scientific relevance, including Music Conservatories and Academies of Art (AFAM), National Libraries and Archives, Museums, schools.
- International education, research and heritage organizations based on the national territory.
- Users in this vast community may widely differ from one another in terms of their use cases, demands and expectations.