Mission, vision, values
AN INFRASTRUCTURE SERVING THE COMMUNITY OF RESEARCH, EDUCATION, HUMANISTIC AND SCIENTIFIC CULTURE
GARR will increasingly be the reference point for its community, facilitating access to the necessary tools and services and enabling interaction between the user (application) and the infrastructure. It will have features that make it more innovative, state-of-the-art in technology, and internationally integrated. Ensuring security, reliability, inclusivity, and capillarity.
GARR is the non-profit association representing the Italian community of research, education, humanistic and scientific culture.
It designs, implements, and manages the network infrastructure and the services built upon it, starting from the needs of the community, while ensuring reliability, sustainability, and efficiency.
To design, build, manage, maintain, and evolve an inclusive infrastructure that provides unique and high-quality tools and services to the target community in close collaboration with it, optimizing it in terms of costs, efficiency and value.
- Make the needs and values of the community central to the vision and strategy
- Meet user requirements, anticipating their needs and proposing the most effective solutions
- Maintain active information exchange within the community, facilitating discussion and sharing
- Ensure openness to other related communities
NEUTRALITY AND TRANSPARENCY
- Strive for the network to treat the traffic of every user equally, regardless of applications, content or technology
- Avoid interfering in the market and refrain from participating in open public tenders for commercial services
- Refrain from filtering any information
- Strive to offer users an intuitive and quick user experience
TRUST AND SECURITY
- Inspire trust within the community through competence, reliability and results, explicitly including factors such as data confidentiality and privacy
- Ensure ongoing security management activities by protecting users from network and cyberattacks, minimizing negative effects
- Provide training and information to achieve prevention
- Enable every member of the community to connect to the infrastructure regardless of location and technology
SOLIDARITY, SUSTAINABILITY, AFFORDABILITY
- Achieve the best possible network with available resources, minimizing costs and ensuring community sustainability by appropriately distributing the costs
STATE OF THE ART
- Utilize the most advanced technologies to meet user requirements with maximum efficiency, and offer innovative possibilities for usage
- Collaborate closely at the European and international levels to bring the needs and values of the GARR community and act as a link for specific requirements
ACTIONS AND ACTIVITIES
- Deploying a network based on owned fibers (IRU) to promote long-term stability and sustainability
- Evolving the network in terms of capacity and transmission flexibility and routing
- Experimenting with new services beyond and above IP
- Developing and managing a Cloud and IT services to maintain control over services and knowledge
- Actively participating in and supporting the European GÉANT network
- Maintaining direct contact and relationships with users through workshops, conferences, and dedicated events every year
- Organizing and conducting educational events for the community on GARR's areas of expertise
- Disseminating information within the community through news, events, websites, etc.
- Participating in relevant national and European projects for GARR and the target community
- Developing a federated authentication and authorization system at national and international levels
- Ensuring network security and continuously improving user protection
Three-Year Activity Plan
The Three-Year Activity Plan outlines how, in the next three years, GARR intends to fulfill its mission of supporting the national education and research community through continuous evolution of network infrastructure and highly innovative services.
The Plan outlines the objectives for the three-year period regarding the development of network infrastructure, federated cloud services, connectivity and international cooperation, digital identity services, and cybersecurity. Additionally, it presents key activities in the areas of training, communication, and personnel.
Gender Equality Plan
Through the Gender Equality Plan, GARR actively supports gender equality and fosters the development of an increasingly inclusive organization. The Plan represents a concrete commitment to value differences, particularly those related to gender, and promote an organizational culture free from biases, based on the fundamental values of inclusivity, fairness, and transparency.
This strategic plan defines a comprehensive framework, encompassing legal, organizational, economic, and social aspects, to effectively implement gender equality. Through a combination of established policies and new initiatives, the Gender Equality Plan aims to overcome the remaining obstacles.